Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Kick Him When He's Down


Lots of bands change/sellout/start to suck after being awesome. Occasionally a band will do the opposite and start being awesome after being horrible (for example: The Rx Bandits). In the case of the Offspring, they were pretty tight, but then stuff like "Pretty Fly for A White Guy" and "Hit That" pretty much ruined them. When I was 12 one of the first CDs I ever bought was The Offpsring's Smash and it ruled. Luckily I never followed up on any of their newer CDs after that or I would have to regret having put my ears through that pain. I actually still really like Smash, and lately I've been playing their 2nd album Ignition like it's going out of style. Chances are it's been long out of style, that's beside the point!

With bands like the Offspring, Weezer, or Green Day, who were once awesome, but are now downright awful, it's kind of annoying having to add a disclaimer every time that you say that you like them. Still, I hate it when people automatically write off a band because they've started to suck, even though their old stuff is really good. So, that said, the Offspring are horrible now, but I can say without apprehension that I really like Ignition and Smash.

3 comments:

BOBOSO said...

We'll, I'll agree with you to a certain extent about Green Day. I don't think that they sold out, I just think that they've been lacking some serious inspiration for a long time. They've definitely tried new styles without ever trying to cash in, and "American Idiot" and "Holiday" are decent enough songs, but nothing special to me.

In the Offspring's case, I think crap like "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" might just be an attempt at irony that completely failed. I don't know if I can judge them yet.

As for Weezer... Rivers Cuomo no longer has any integrity, soul, nor ounce of honesty.

PS: Why no more love for Smash???

ninpuro said...

I actually listened to Americana a lot during high school, haha. My older brother used to play their older CDs all the time though - I loved 'Nitro' and that one song about road rage.

And while I was a huge fan of Green Day back in the day, I completely lost interest and it wasn't until American Idiot that I started liking them again. I really liked that CD.

BOBOSO said...

You've sold out along with the rest of us!!

One of my best friends has loved Strung Out since their good days (back when all of the Fat Wreck bands were relatively good actually). I don't have the heart to tell him these days that Strung Out has become a lame jock rock band.