Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I am an illusion in your dreams

Yuki is a popular singer in Japan. I've yet to hear a single good song from her entire solo repertoire (maybe a little of hyperbole there), but she's really quite a great singer and personality if placed in the right situation. As the singer of Judy and Mary for the better part of the 1990's, she sang the catchiest tunes for one of Japan's most popular bands, arguably the best of the decade.

My friend went to Hong Kong and China around the turn of the millenium and saw a gaudy headline hyping Judy and Mary: "JAPANESE PUNK POP BAND, JUDY AND MARY". She was downright excited when she found out that I was into Judy and Mary so I lent her the CDs I had, but she wasn't too fond of Yuki's voice after listening to them. I'll admit that Yuki's voice borders on whiny, even shrill sometimes. Regardless, I'm a fan!!!

In summation, don't listen to her boring solo work! Instead, here are some songs I recommend with Yuki that rule my world:
Mean Machine: Oui D'Accord
Judy and Mary: Over Drive
Judy and Mary: Doki Doki
Judy and Mary: Jesus! Jesus!
Judy and Mary: Hitotsudake
Ging Nang Boyz: Kakenukete Seishun (perhaps the most graceful her voice has ever sounded)

These posts get worse and worse. Hooray for me!

1 comment:

BOBOSO said...

I will check it out, but if memory serves me I didn't much like it when I heard it a few years ago.