Monday, December 12, 2005

My New Mission

I've really wanted to trash a record on this blog, but I've gotten such a finely tuned radar about music I'll like (or have become so close-minded) that I very rarely listen to anything that I dislike. So I've made it a purpose to listen to music that I assume will suck.

Victim number one:
Thrice, Vheissu = SUCKY ALBUM

It's been 4 years since I took a liking to Thrice's The Illusion of Safety, before emo-metal had become the comically melodramatic goth sub-genre that it is now. Honestly, I probably wouldn't like that album if I heard it now, but I'll maintain that it has some good songwriting, some genuine qualities, and isn't polished to death, so I can still find it likable enough nowadays.

Vheissu has no remnants of the hardcore, skate-punk, or even Metallica-like elements that made them decent enough back in the day. Instead, the album is awash in harmlessly overdriven guitars, heavily compressed/restrained drumming, uninspired singing, and an overall performance that sounds like Nickelback or Chevelle. One of my friends who saw them on Warped Tour said, "Thrice's new stuff is tight because they've incorporated these awesome negro spiritual parts into their songs, with chanting and stomping!" Indeed, one song, "The Earth Will Shake" has a spiritual break it down which isn't so bad, but the laughable, recorded in an echoey bathroom, production cancels out any compliments I could've given it.

Next on my list: MIA's "Arular". Check back tomorrow.

No comments: