Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Dang... again!

MIA's Arular reminds me of the Strokes' debut album. There aren't any musical similarities, but both of the albums were hyped so much that I hated them before even hearing them. I ended up loving the Strokes when I finally listened to them (though their new song is awful beyond belief). When I saw a commercial for Arular on TV a few days ago the annoying girl repeating "blah blah purple haze" made me want to stab someone.

I was prepared for vitriol to flow when I listened to Arular but I was a little let down (as in, it wasn't that bad). The album is definitely way over hyped, but I didn't wanna stab myself after listening to it, I just wanted to stab myself during a few specific songs, mainly "Hombre" and "Galang", two of the most obnoxious songs I've ever heard.

The beats were ok, but there weren't too many memorable hooks, though I could see Arular's bass heavy beats being decent enough background music for socializing (ie: a party). Couldn't the producers find a better frontwoman to go along with their beats?

I'll have to find another completely worthless album like Vheissu to trash now, since Arular doesn't deserve it. But, at least now I can say "MIA's hella overrated" and be able to defend my position, as well as irk some people in tight pants with ugly faux-hawks.

3 comments:

BOBOSO said...

Well I didn't end up hating the album as much I had wanted to. I must have some anger issues or something, hahaha. Actually I don't hate it at all, but I think I'm pretty ambivalent towards it.

But I'm confused about the whole producer issue, I read that she had 9 producers working on the album, so I'm wondering how much of the creative force is her work, or if she was just the frontwoman for a collection of party beats. Please enlighten me.

ninpuro said...

which is the new strokes song you hated? i'm listening to the album and it's kinda cool!

BOBOSO said...

I think the awful Strokes song was "Juice Box". Holy crap, it was bad.