Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Indie Rock!

A review I wrote about the album I dedicate D chord by Japan's Toddle has been posted here at Keikaku. Toddle is the first Japanese band I've heard that fits the image of indie rock burned into my brain by bands like Sebadoh, Superchunk, Dinosaur Jr. and the like.

Another band that has recently blown me away is Calling All Monsters, fronted by Matthew Troy, formerly of Track Star. His former band was a raw and passionate indie rock band that slowly faded in popularity as image and hipness replaced honesty and substance in the indie world. Luckily enough, Calling All Monsters is a lot like Track Star, and a lot like Toddle, and a lot like most of the bands that I like in this world. CAM's sound is defined by a heavy fuzz bass supporting the sometimes frantic, sometimes sweet guitaristry. The vocals alternate, similarly, between a sort of gentle drone and strained screams.

Though technically their album hasn't been released, it's available to the public from their label, Turn Records, or at their shows. Pick it up before the new year so you can add it onto your best of 2005 lists!

No comments: