Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Deli

Tonight I heard Less Than Jake's "My Own Flag" playing as I walked through the mall. For a variety of reasons I've written off Less Than Jake for years, but something about hearing that song tonight really struck me and had me feeling all sentimental and melancholy, especially since hearing Less Than Jake's first album in a Japanese mall is about as unexpected as it gets. I'm not really at a loss for Americana here in Japan, since food and entertainment and everything else American has pretty well infiltrated life out here. I am at a loss for the community and context that would've made Less Than Jake meaningful to me. Maybe that's why hearing this band again brought back the feelings of discovery and excitement that I felt when I first heard Pezcore and stuff of that sort as a teenager.

I came home and found this:

http://www.thetraintracks.org/track.php?id=39

I'm glad that Andrew Jackson Jihad is still around, since they're one of the only groups going these days that really can make me feel music in the same that I would have as an impressionable young dufus.

1 comment:

coco said...

People are always the ones that makes the place no matter good or bad. That's why i like Sanjo tho city is not that exciting. we miss you out here tho. but hope you'll like your spot more than what it is.
thx for adding my blog!