Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Please Make Me Shutup

In a long tradition of idiots who go to another country only to complain about everything, I would like to comment today on how wack I think Japanese fashion is. I'm not talking about Fruits Magazine type crap, because we already knew that ish was wack anyway!



What I'm here to talk about is the hidden, yet very blatant, new wave of Japanese fashion. It's part California surfer-dude, part Blink-182 loving jerkweed, part super-feminine waif, all WACK!!! Let me be more specific, every young person between the ages of 14 and 21 out here has Abercrombie or Hollister-esque t-shirts that say either "California", "Surf", "Santa Monica", "Surf", "Reggae", or "Surf" on them, along with mesh hats cocked to the side, baggy cargo shorts or super tight jeans, crocs, and bleached blond hair (including eyebrows) that makes them look like albino zombies. Perhaps most people are unaware of this new fashion phenomenon, because I suspect that people in big cities where tourists gohttp://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=15628641&postID=1445399750455135130
Blogger: This Song Is Good - Edit Post "Please Make Me Shutup" actually have some exposure to fashion of better taste, but the suburbs of Japan are swarming with it!!!

The other extreme that represents a small, but equally laughable, portion of the Japanese youth fashion scene is the wannabe gangsta, or WANKSTA, as that fool 50 Cent once put it so aptly (I still think he's the worst rapper of the century). I saw one of my students at the mall food court (don't ask what I was doing there) and he walked up wearing some white jeans and jean jacket, both probably 4XL in size, with a bandana around his head, and a ridiculous chain hanging around his neck. This wasn't a typical bling-bling chain, but more like the type of chain that you put around some gigantic box, like a freight cargo container, to keep people from opening it up. This is the same kid with nearly no eyebrows left because he has plucked them all off who greets me in the hallways with "HELLOOOO! YES! OKAY!" on a daily basis. 'Nuff said.

Yes, I have no life.

OH! I did finally buy a record player out here, so I was finally able to listen to this awesome 45 I bought of a girl in a sailor uniform holding a gigantic rifle.
Here's the girl singing it live (skip ahead to 1:35 or so):


And here's another dope jam recommended to me by my boys Shawn and Ric.


I'll be keeping my eyes open for these hits in the used LP sections of my favorite junk stores.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Speaking of Blink 182, some dude came up to the desk a few weeks ago and with a completely straight face says, "Blink 182 is the greatest punk band ever". I wasn't even wearing one of my band shirts and this guy starts going on and on about how great the band is. It was...surreal.