Thursday, September 11, 2008

Life Is Forever

My new favorite TV show is this show called 青い瞳の聖ライフ, or Aoi Hitomi no Sei Raifu, or Blue Eyes' Pure Life (that's my wack translation anyway). It's this show about an American girl named Beth from New York who ends up in Japan somehow at a Japanese high school, and she falls in love with this dufus named Yuu, and her dream is to organize a rock festival at the school and marry Yuu. But, every episode, someone gets hella mad at Beth and they yell at her for being such an insensitive foreign/white/American bitch, even though Beth is unimaginably thoughtful and kind. Beth speaks perfect Japanese in the most ridiculously butchered American accent, and I'm not sure if she is purposely hamming it up, or if she really is incapable of bettering her accent. Heck, I get made fun of everyday by my students for speaking Japanese, and my accent isn't even a tenth as bad as Beth's is (but her Japanese skill absolutely destroys mine regardless). Did I mention that this show was made in 1984? I don't know why they're re-running it on TV here now, but it is the highlight of my cold, lonely, depressing, dreary evenings... *sigh* (I only pay $50 in rent, suckers!!!!)

I dug up as much info as I could on the show, so here's some more info and videos for all of you, who I'm sure are VERY INTERESTED, right???

Here's the opening theme:



Here's Florence Haga, the star of the show, [poorly] singing a cheesy pop song:



Here's some links too:
Screenshots and Info

Japanese Wikipedia Entry



What is wrong with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

drive by stabbings?! hell yes! dig that brainy looking girl with the gigantic glasses too. oh my ;-*