Friday, November 16, 2007

NIIICE NIIICE NI NIIIIICENINCIENIONIIIIIIIICE

Holy moly.

I've been listening to lots of KNBR lately. Those of you who know me may or may not know that I love me some sports talk radio. I'm not super into sports, perhaps with the exception of baseball, but the local sports talk talent it unbelievable. Ralph Barbieri and Tom Tolbert are a great duo, nonstop laughs, really smart, and just all around lovable people. Bob Fitzgerald and Rod Brooks are likable enough, occasionally funny, and almost entertaining enough when not. At least they're more interesting than news-talk and top-40 radio.

The real king, though, is Gary Radnich. His show isn't so much sports talk, but rather a sports-related front for a middle-aged white guy to talk about hip-hop, getting down with the ladies, and all sorts of useless pop-culture trivia. When Gary is on a roll, it's especially great hearing him, first, groan when a caller wants to talk about trivial sports matter, and, second, immediately cut the caller off to resume talking about whatever random "good knowledge" he's dropping on the audience that day. Gary also surrounds himself with hilarious talent: Ray Woodson is his straight man, an equally knowledgeable pop culture aficionado; Tony Bruno, the most famous sports talk host nationwide, is Gary's only competition when it comes to obnoxious old white men with a knowledge of hip-hop; Dan Dibley, young goofy announcer whose son provides so many child-versions of Gary's rotation of catchphrases, including: "Good knowledge"; "You gots to get down"; "GOODBYE"; etc; (I don't really know how to use colons and semicolons); The various interns and producers, Mike, Thin Tim, and others also provide for good laughs as Gary's motley sidekicks.

Today, Gary and Tony were talking about Amy Winehouse. Tony was talking about her first date on tour which totally flopped and how she was booed savagely. Gary's first comment on her was that "I can't even look at her!" which I totally agreed with, because she looks totally disgusting. They also dissed her singing and songs, which I also agreed with. She certainly ain't no Sean Kingston!!!

----------------

I recently saw a few good movies, here's a quick roundup:

Troll 2: Horrible. VERY funny.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance: Very funny, great use of dark comedy, until the end when it's totally dark without any comedy at all. Probably the most depressing of all of Park Chan Wook's revenge trilogy. This killed the mood for everyone on halloween, hooray for me suggesting we watch it! Bae Du-Na is hella cute in this.

The Host: Another great dark comedy from Korea. I think that the commentary and it's execution in the film was great. Bae Du-Na is not as cute in this, but still tight.

Milo & Otis: Cutest movie of all time? Probably. Bae Du-Na may be cute, but she has nothing to do with this ultra cute movie.

Going to see the new Joe Strummer documentary that comes out here tomorrow (not so new in other parts of the world, I know).

-----------

On a side note, have you guys out there ever wanted to go up to a girl and totally platonically tell her how beautiful she may be? I wanna do this all time, but I don't wanna seem like a creep! Why are there so many pretty girls out there?

------------

AHHHH! I know there's more I wanted to write about, but it's 2:30 AM practically and my brain is fried.

4 comments:

Elvis said...

lots to cover in this post:

sports: how do you feel about barry bonds? I love me some mike and mike in the morning on the topic of sports news radio

movies: Troll 2 is basically the best film. Milo and Otis 2nd best

pretty girls: I approach with confidence! They usually take it well.

colons and semi-colons:
who needs them

BOBOSO said...

sports: Barry Bonds took those 'roids, but a caller on Radnich's show this morning made a point that I agreed with that the government lies to us all the time, and in all their hypocrisy they're going to spend our taxpayer money just to make an example of Bonds!!! I just want the media circus to end on this one.

movies: I will agree that they are totally awesome.

pretty girls: The thing for me is that I'm happily taken by a beautiful girl, but sometimes I just want other beautiful girls to know that I think they are as such, without seeming like I wanna get in their pants.

punctuation: YEAH MANG, F THAT!

PS: Thanks for the vid, you are da berrrrm.

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude, but I can't stand KNBR before noon. At all. Murph and Mac. Radminovich. All those dudes. I'll give you Bruno, he's tight. But I can't stand anyone else. Fitz and Brooks are alright. The Razor and Mr. T? Pretty tight, though Ralph's voice get son my nerves when he starts arguing (or pleading his case, rather) with dudes. I'm hellof down with Damon Bruce, though.

As for the honeys, I always get away with it at the library, though I really have to pick my spots. That and I have to make sure I say it in a very non-threatening (or creepy) way.

dave said...

dude, liz and i just watched milo and otis last time i visited her in boston!