Sunday, January 21, 2007

*Sigh*



The January issue of Rockin' On Japan magazine features the so-lovely-I-will-gouge-out-my-eyes-in-ecstasy Shiina Ringo. She just released a new single entitled "この世の限り" (Kono Yo No Kagiri). The half-English, half-Japanese singing was initially off putting to me, and I've never been a big fan of her duets with her brother Shiina Junpei, but this one grew on me after a few listens. Perhaps it's because her English in the B-side, the afro-caribbean jam "錯乱 Onkio ver." (Sakuran), is rather nice, not to mention the growling when she's belting out those lyrics. Oh Ringo... *sigh*

The video for Kono Yo No Kagiri has some interesting elements, but wasn't too compelling in my opinion. It did, however, confirm my suspicion that Ringo has always hidden a deep appreciation for Busby Berkeley and all the musical productions of yore.



Ringo's 4th album, 平成風俗 (Heisei Fuzoku), will be released February 21.

No comments: